Thursday, April 24, 2008

A sad day

Well, here goes.

I haven't mentioned it but I've finally been getting really close to getting those chickens. I've gotten my husband on board and my Uncle was determined to get me some chicks. So, on April 7th he got some fertilized Barred Rock eggs and stuck them in an incubator. He's been very dedicated to turning them a few times a day. Today I asked how things were going and I got an e-mail back stating there had been a power outage on Tuesday for three hours and the incubator had gotten down below 70 degrees for about ten minutes. He kept turning them hoping they would be alright. But this morning when he went to turn them they were starting to smell. I almost cried when I read the email. So, now we've got to start over. It's a sad, sad day here. *sniff*

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

:(

I'm sorry. That is sad news.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh no!!

So very sorry to hear the bad news.

Poor chickies.

I hope the next 'batch' come out fine, though....

Mim said...

Thanks, stephanine. And thanks twinville. He's got some more in the incubator so let's hope it works out this time.

Anonymous said...

Aww....that's horrible luck! And I've been so excited for you to get those chicks!! I hope you're able to get some soon!

Naisy said...

bummer....of course, just when you get the hubby on board, the plan comes to a screeching halt...

I was hoping to pick the eggs at your place someday!

Mim said...

farm mom: I know! Hopefully soon.

naisy: Pick the eggs? Like when you are visiting or when you finally move back home? Cause I'm looking forward to the move back home day.